welcome to hangzhou xihu district!

Lingyin Temple


Lingyin Temple, also known as Yunlin Temple, is located in Hangzhou City of Zhejiang Province. It was founded during the Eastern Jin dynasty (326 AD), occupying an area of about 87,000 square meters. Lingyin Temple is in the west of the West Lake, leaning against Beigao Feng and facing Feilai Feng. Lingyin Temple is located at the foot of Lingyin Mountain between Beigao Feng and Feilai Feng. With two peaks around, surrounded by forests, this ancient temple in the remote mountains is in the cloud and mist. It is a primitive, peaceful and beautiful tourist attraction. Lingyin Temple belongs to Major Historical and Cultural Site Protected at the National Level.

The founder of Lingyin Temple is a West Indian monk, named Huili. Emperor Liangwu of the Southern Dynasties granted a field to expand the temple. Qian Liu of the Wuyue Kingdom in the Five Dynasties invited Master Yongming Yanshou to expand the temple and gave the name of New Lingyin Temple. During Jiading period of Emperor Ningzong of Song, Lingyin Temple was praised as one of the “five mountains” of Zen in Jiangnan. During the period of Emperor Shunzhi of Qing Dynasty, the great master of Zen Ju De governed Lingyin and raised funds to reconstruct the temple. The construction of palace hall alone lasted for eighteen years, and its scale is “ranked first in the southeast”. In 1689 AD during Qing Dynasty (Kangxi Period), Emperor Kangxi named it “Yunlin Zen Temple” when he visited the south.

The main axis of Lingyin Temple mainly covers Hall of the Heavenly Kings, Grand Hall of the Great Sage, Hall of the Medicine Buddha, Sutra Library (Dharma Hall) and Huayan Hall,accompanied by Hall of the Five Hundred Arhats, Hall of Buddha Jih, Light Pavilion, HuayanPavilion, Great Pity Building, and Buddhist Abbot Building at both sides. The current Buddhist abbot is Master Guangquan.

Copyright 2006 Xihu District Government All Rights Reserved